How to choose a stroller
If you have a baby and want to move them around safely, it’s imperative to invest in a good, high-quality stroller. The best stroller can make a massive difference since it can deliver comfort and an outstanding experience. With that in mind, here you have a comprehensive guide on picking the right stroller. You will learn what to look for and how you can identify the best type of baby stroller to suit your needs.
What types of strollers are there?
When you start checking the different baby stroller types, you will notice there are a vast range of styles and designs. Here are some of the most common stroller types:
- Travel strollers are usually foldable and lightweight. This is great for the minimalist parent who also lacks storage space. It makes transporting your child more accessible and convenient without worrying about any issues. These are ideal for traveling abroad, but they are just as suitable for road trips or walking within the city.
- Stroller travel systems are multi-sets; they have a car seat, a stroller, and a bassinet. These can be very helpful if you want a complete package for long travels, especially those involving a vehicle.
- Jogging stroller models are suitable for parents that jog or walk a lot during the day. The wheels are made of rubber, and they are filled with air to keep your child comfortable even at higher speeds.
- All-terrain strollers are more suitable when you go off the beaten path with your baby. If you go hiking and want to take your baby with you, these can be great. They are a good type of baby stroller with big wheels. On top of that, they include the most durable models on the market.
- Double stroller models are designed to hold not one, but two children. These are great if you have twins or two children of a different age, and still want to travel around the city. It can be a great model if you take your baby shopping, for example.
- Prams are wheeled baby carriers created so that children can sleep in them. It’s a small carriage with a soft flat bottom, designed for your baby’s comfort.
- Car seat strollers are models that allow you to take the carriage part and just put it in the car, install it and enjoy the experience. It’s versatile and very adaptable to all your needs. Frame strollers also have a car seat, that’s detachable.
- Umbrella strollers are simple, traditional models that can fold and recline in the shape of a golf umbrella.
How many children do you have?
Depending on how many children you have you might have to buy a double stroller, which can hold up to two children. In case you have more, you may need multiple individual strollers. There are also convertible strollers that convert from a single to a double stroller, which can be very handy.
How much space do you have?
Ideally, you want to go with a foldable stroller, especially if you don’t have a lot of space. We recommend choosing smaller strollers, unless you have plenty of storage space. Either way, it’s essential to assess storage space before you buy any baby stroller.
Yes, your baby’s age is also crucial when you buy a stroller. That’s because some strollers are created specifically for babies up to 1 years old. Others are okay for 6 months onward and so on. You should always see what age the baby stroller is designed for, as it will make the process a lot easier.
Usually, strollers have a metal frame, and the inner materials are very soft. Some of them also have a good cover system or umbrella to ensure that your child is not affected by rain, UV rays, or anything like that. It’s imperative to check the materials and see if your child is allergic to any of them. When it comes to the frame, aluminum is the most common as you have cloth for the seat, and things like handles or wheels that are made out of plastic.
Are stroller wheels durable?
Front wheels should be 17 to 20 centimeters in diameter, whereas the back wheels go from 20 to 25 centimeters. This will allow your stroller to work well even on rough terrain. Larger wheels are better because they offer more grip. Ideally, you also want the stroller to have suspension to prevent any accidents. And in case you hit a bump, you don’t have to worry about any issues.
Security is very important when you buy a stroller, as you want a safe and reliable model. A 5-point safety harness will keep your child safe, and you won’t have to worry about any problems that might appear.
Your baby wants to move around at times, and you also need to change the seat style based on weather and other factors. That’s why it’s a good idea to opt for a reclining seat, which offers more flexibility and value, while also delivering comfort for your child.
Yes, weight is also significant, especially if you need to go uphill with the stroller. Choosing a lightweight stroller is always a good idea, and that’s a massive requirement for a jogging stroller. If you want a double stroller, that is usually on the heavier side.
When it comes to the stroller canopy, we noticed that a good canopy should be made out of water-resistant materials. You also want it to be extendable, if possible. Other things like a visor or a peek-a-boo can be convenient.
Even if this might not be mandatory, the truth is that we all want to adjust the handlebar from time to time; so it’s a major plus to have an adjustable handlebar system since it saves time, while also protecting your hands.
Warranty and certifications
A good baby stroller will always have a warranty and the proper certifications. How much warranty you get depends on the manufacturer. But in general, there will be 2 or 3 years of warranty. It might even go up to 5 years or even more in some cases. It’s a good idea to check this, just to be 100 percent sure that you are covered if anything goes wrong.
Extra features and accessories
Some strollers are barebones but also very affordable. Other models, however, will come with a vast range of accessories. Common accessories for a stroller are things like a travel bag or rain cover, reflective stripes, removable fabric, safety wrist strap, leg rest for your baby, parent organizer/storage space, a dedicated tray for food, cup holder, side pouch. These are only a few of the many accessories a stroller can provide as you want to go with the stuff you need at the end of the day.
Finding the right baby stroller will take quite a bit of research. You always want to create a list of the stroller features you want. It’s a great idea to create a list based on priorities. A good rule of thumb is to follow all the ideas above, starting with safety features. Then you can think about weight, storage, comfort, durability, and accessories. Once you have done that, the results can be awe-inspiring!